ETL401 Assessment 1 Part C – Peer Review

I am posting a copy of this to my own blog for future reference in case something happens to make it inaccessible from Stephanie’s blog in the future.

Posted to:http://thinkspace.csu.edu.au/mrsaffleck/2018/02/24/reflective-blog-3-the-perceived-role-of-the-teacher-librarian/#comments

marikamum
FEBRUARY 26, 2018 AT 9:27 PM
Stephanie, I like the clean and clear design of your blog. Your header picture places me right in the primary school library space and the ability to highlight a thematically important quote is a nice feature of your design and I believe that you used it effectively in your reflection on the role of the Teacher Librarian. Through hovering over areas and clicking on links I was able to distinguish your categories from your links, but the organisation of your sidebar (categories, then two sets of links, then tabs) and the heading “Uni Subjects” for your category list was a bit confusing and could hinder efficient navigation when you post more to your blog. I would suggest moving the internal navigation tools (categories and tags) together, rather than letting the lists of external links separate them. Perhaps adding the word Categories to your Uni Subjects section header would also clarify navigation choices.

I found your reflections on the perceptions of the TL role to be very interesting and your action points to be helpful for practical thinking and planning. The personal experiences that you use in the introduction were engagingly written and expressed your voice in a very readable and relevant way. Lupton (2016) found that even principals who had a positive view of their teacher librarian did not necessarily extend that to the general role. Perhaps the recommendation you quote from Novak (2013) would help widen that perception, especially when implemented together with your practical suggestions. My one bone to pick in terms of content was that I expected to find a bit more of an explicit mention of parents in the school community and their perceptions of the teacher librarians role. I think one of your practical recommendations aimed at influencing parent perceptions would have been quite useful. I look forward to living this chapter with you.

References

Lupton, M. (2016). Adding Value: Principals’ Perceptions of the Role of the Teacher-Librarian. School Libraries Worldwide, 22(1), 49-61. doi:10.14265.22.1.005

Novak, B. (2013). It’s time: let’s improve schools’ perceptions of teacher librarians [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://www2.curriculum.edu.au/scis/connections/issue_99/feature_article/improve_schools_perceptions_of_teacher_librarians.html
(Word count excl. references=309)