ETL401 Module 3 activities and reflections

Activity – Read and reflect
As you are probably aware, Australian teachers need to meet the Australian professional standards for teachers. As teachers, teacher librarians will be required to meet these standards too, over the coming years. Browse the AITSL standards linked on the image to the left, and ONE of the following documents, produced by ASLA to encourage teacher librarians to begin to gather evidence of their achievement of AITSL standards.
Australian School Library Association (2014) Evidence guide for teacher librarians in the highly accomplished career stage
Australian School Library Association (2015) Evidence guide for teacher librarians in the proficient career stage.
In Discussion forum 3.1 AITSL standards, suggest ways in which you could use one of the Evidence guides?

The evidence guides could be used to:
* give you ideas for how to demonstrate how you meet various criteria for maintaining accreditation or when applying for a job
* generate ideas for things to actually DO as a TL
* set goals, such as annual PDP goals
* identify areas where you want to target professional development.

The activity on Karen Bonnano’s video was posted as a separate post.

Activity
Compare and contrast the above views of Herring, Purcell, Lamb, and Valenza.
* How should TLs prioritisethe roles they play in the school?
* Are there other roles played by TLs, e.g. social roles?
* How do Lamb’s views on the TL’s role compare and contrast with those of Herring and Purcell?
* What existing tasks/roles do you think you as a TL could give up in order to be as proactive as Lamb and Valenza want you to be?
* Would you would change the order of the roles Purcell identifies, e.g. should teacher come first?

In Discussion forum 3.2, Role of the TL, share your questions and ideas on the role of the TL, as you crystallise your thoughts.

The following is not a full comparison and contrast of the viewpoints of the authors listed above, but is my response as posted on the forums in the spirit of the thought crystallisation task. To be honest it is more of a reflection in light of the readings:

I must admit that after reading the various writings about the role of the Teacher Librarian (TL), I felt a bit like I imagine Elizabeth Bennet did when she exclaimed, “I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.” (Austen, 1996, p. 35) It amazes me that any one person could embody all the characteristics and accomplish all of the tasks enumerated in the readings. This brings me to what I see as Purcell’s (2010, pp. 30-31) main point of difference. By suggesting a time use effectiveness survey and choosing different aspects of the role to emphasise, she implies that one person cannot, in fact, do it all. Her voice was the clearest amongst the readings in encouraging the TL to take stock and prioritise, delegating where possible, in order to maximise time and effort on the top priorities of the role. I felt that most of the writers covered essentially the same areas – just varying in the amount of detail incorporated and their method of breaking out the various aspects of the role. I am struggling at the moment as these have left me feeling more burdened than inspired.

References

Austen, J. (1996). Pride and Prejudice. New York: Signet Classic.

Purcell, M. (2010). All librarians do is check out books right? A look at the roles of the school library media specialist. Library Media Connection 29(3), 30-33.

Reflect and discuss: In Discussion forum 3.3 – Support for TLs, discuss ways in which Principals can enable the role of the TL, and how TLs might enable the role of the Principal.

Principals can make decisions that help TLs to maximise the fulfilment of their roles by prioritising collaboration and ensuring the TL is included in it, by budgeting resources (both human and material) that make collaboration and team-teaching possible, by scheduling TLs time with classes on a team-teaching or flexible basis rather than as release from face-to-face teaching.
TLs can enable the principal’s role by providing data on how collaboration and information literacy contribute to student achievement and by aligning library program goals to overall school goals and collecting and providing supporting data on how both are being achieved and by being a collaborative partner and link between the administrative and teaching teams.

Activity and discussion:
Choose ONE of the AITSL standards, and look at The ASLA Evidence guide for teacher librarians in the Proficient career stage.
Consider the evidence that ASLA provides for the achievement of that standard.
In Discussion forum 3.4 – Advocacy, accountability and research, Discuss how would you show that you can meet your chosen standard

Standard 5: Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning
I am not currently a TL, but thinking about the school where I have done the majority of my recent casual and temporary classroom teaching work, I chose this standard as one that might be challenging to demonstrate as a TL in that school. The TLs in that school take classes as relief from face-to-face (RFF) classes, but there is no formal reporting done for Library as a subject. To demonstrate this I would:
* Include assessments in my term units and keep a record of them (5.1)
* Prepare stamps that reflect verbal feedback given, so that I could stamp student work when giving verbal feedback and then photograph as evidence. (5.2)
* Keep samples of work on which I had given written feedback to students. (5.2)
* Keep record of my participation in staff meeting where NAPLAn results are discussed – with notation on how to implement responses in my program and evidence of implementation in program. (5.4)
* Present information on assessments to classroom teachers in reporting period to assist them in writing their reports. (5.5)

Discussion
Consider these simple ways suggested by Valenza for gathering and analysing datain your daily practice, which are accompanied by some of her suggestions for technology to help with data collection.
In Discussion forum 3.4_1, consider which of Valenza’s data collection ideas you are likely to use in your own library.

I quite like the exit tickets idea and analysing and comparing student work in aggregate ways to assess efficacy of teaching and remediation. I will save the article to look at specific technological solutions for these when I actually have a library and school context that I am working in.

References

Valenza, J. (2015). Evolving with evidence: Leveraging new tools for EBP. Knowledge Quest. 43(3), 36-43.